More languages:

Requirements for Australians


1. Before leaving Australia, you need to obtain an Atto Notorio (sworn declaration) from the Italian Embassy or Consulate in Australia in the state where you reside.
2. Make sure you travel with your Australian passport. If you were married before, bring evidence of the termination of the previous marriage.

If you are widowed, you must bring the death certificate of your previous spouse. Certificates can be obtained from the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

In addition to the Atto Notorio, an Australian citizen intending to get married in Italy will need to make a Statutory Declaration (Nulla Osta). This Statutory Declaration must be signed whether you are single, divorced or widowed and you will do so in the presence of an Australian Consular officer at the Australian Embassy in Rome or Australian Consulate-General in Milan- A Nulla Osta literally states that “there are no impediments,” or that one is free to marry. The Nulla Osta (Statutory Declaration) is valid for six months and the costs the equivalent in Euro of AU$ 50 per Australian Citizen.
You will be assisted by one of our on site representatives in doing this step in Italy.
The Nulla Osta must then be legalised by the Uffico Legalizzazioni of the Prefettura. You will be assisted by one of our on site representatives in doing this step too. Nulla Osta and legalization can be done during the same morning.
If you did not obtain an Atto Notorio prior to coming to Italy or you currently reside in Italy, the Atto Notorio can be executed in Rome or Milan.
If this is the case we will need to make an appointment. There is a cost that might vary to do this and includes fees, taxes, stamps, necessary witnesses and assistant. Please ask your wedding planner for details.
If the wedding hall requires it, we will set an appointment with the Wedding Hall authorities, about two days before the wedding. At this time, you will make a Promessa di Matrimonio, or Declaration of Intent to Marry. Sometimes the appointment for the Declaration and Wedding may fall on the same day.
If one or more of the parties is Italian or is an Australian with Italian residency, then Banns (pubblicazione di matrimonio) must be posted for at least two weeks before the date of the marriage.
PLEASE NOTE that Italian law states that at least 300 days must pass before a woman can remarry if she was previously divorced.

Apostille – US Citizens Only

What is it?

1. An Apostille is a document attached to your original US certificates by the Secretary of State’s Notary Public of the state from which the document originally is from.
2. An Apostille is simply a document stapled to your original certificate by the Secretary of State Notary Public of the State in accordance with the Hague Convention, which means that the documents can be used officially in a foreign country.
3. Apostilles must be placed on any birth/divorce/death certificates presented for your civil wedding ceremony in Italy.

It is NOT a regular Notary Public stamp.Generally documents to be apostilled must be current certified copies or must have been notarized by a Notary Public.If you are a Naturalized US Citizen: your naturalization certificate will substitute for your birth certificate and must be apostilled.
How to:
The process of obtaining and Apostille is done via mail, you simply call your Secretary of State’s Notary Public ( )
to find out the mailing address and forward your certificates to them with if applicable a small fee for processing and it will be returned to you with the seal. You do not have to do anything in person. The matter can also be handled with a very short time line if needed by pre-paying for express shipping.
Example: Mary Brown h was born in Buffalo, New York. She therefore sends her Birth Certificate to the Secretary of State’s Notary Public office in Albany requesting an Apostille. It is returned to her with the Apostille/Seal.
The link to all of the Secretary of State Notary Public offices in the US is:

Atto Notorio

Required for US Citizens; only can be done in US or Australia or Italy.
An ATTO NOTORIO is an affidavit done before the Italian Consulate in the US or Australia (or before a magistrate in Italy). In order to obtain an Atto Notorio you must prepare the following documentation:
1. Passport
2. Birth certificate
3. If previously divorced/widowed, your divorce decree or death certificate
4. Translations of all of the above

It consists of a meeting in front of the Italian Consulate with witnesses in which a declaration relative to the civil status (single, divorced etc…) of the couple is made. An official document is then drawn up for filing purposes here in Italy.

Please be sure that at the top of the page of the Atto Notorio the detail ” Repubblica Italiana” and “Consolato Generale D’Italia” are specifically written, otherwise the Atto Notorio is not valid.
If you elect to do the Atto Notorio in your home country you will save money. You must set up an appointment with the nearest Italian Consulate to where you live and ask how many witnesses are required – it varies from location to location.

TRANSLATIONS – Your Birth and or divorce/death certificates must be translated into Italian and Apostilled through the Secretary of State’s Notary Public of the state the document originated in. The translations of your certificates are to be authenticated by the Italian Consulate.
ChocoWeddings does provide translation services at € 30 per document up to 2 pages.

If you elect to do the Atto Notorio in Italy your wedding planner will quote you a cost. We will handle all legalities, witnesses, appointments and interpreter. You must calculate to be in Italy one additional day in advance to complete this formality with our staff.

This page has been seen 1,961 times.

Favorite Destinations in Italy

Currently most searched destinations







capri wedding

Read all of our Wedding Coordinators Reviews at Weddings, Wedding Cakes,  Wedding Planning, Wedding Checklists, Free Wedding Websites, Wedding Dresses, Wedding Ideas & more


italy wedding planners

  • Follow us on

    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Google Plus
    • Feed RSS
    • Contact us
    • Android